Friday, June 7, 2013

Friday Faves: First Lines I Love

Hello lovelies,
I'm introducing a new feature to my blog today, called Friday Faves. This is going to happen on the first Friday of every month. Each month, I'll pick a category, and then list books I love that fall under the category. I'll usually aim for a minimum of five books for each of these posts, but it could always be more.  Today's category is great first lines, so let's get started.




Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
First Sentence: "I taped the commercial back in April, before anything had happened, and promptly forgot about it."
Why I Love It: If there's a before, then there must be an after.  The after is what I'm interested in, and it's clearly what the story will be about.



Peeps by Scott Westerfeld
First Sentence: "After a year of hunting, I finally caught up with Sarah."
Why I Love It: The word choice makes this sentence.  Hunting is active, predatory, and intriguing.  Sarah is most likely a person's name, which makes me wonder who hunts people and why.



Delirium by Lauren Oliver
First Sentence: "It has been sixty-four years since the president and the Consortium identified love as a disease, and forty-three since scientists perfected a cure."
Why I Love It: This opening is giving me vital information right away.  I'm clued in and ready to go.



Ordinary Ghosts by Eireann Corrigan
First Sentence: "Understand I didn't earn the key."
Why I Love It: It makes me wonder.  What is the key to?  How could he have earned it?  Since he didn't earn it, how did he get it?



Skinned by Robin Wasserman
First Sentence: "Lia Khan is dead.  I am Lia Kahn."
Why I Love It: Ok, so this one is actually two sentences.  But it's so good, I just had to include it.  It just gives me the immediate reaction of But how? and I have to keep reading to find out.



Teeth by Hannah Moskowitz
First Sentence: "At night the ocean is so loud and so close that I lie awake, sure it's going to beat against the house's supports until we all crumble onto the rocks and break into pieces."
Why I Love It: It's beautifully descriptive and just a little morbid.  This line might not work for everyone, but it totally appeals to me. 
(P.S. I finally got my hands on this book and a review is forthcoming. Keep an eye out if you're interested.)



Are there any first lines you love? Tell me in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment